Thursday, February 18, 2010

Julio the classic Romeo


While we have crossed our fingers and prayed to the starry skies that the Iglesias we were going to talk to would be Enrique, senior Iglesias — Julio was no less charming than his smoldering offspring.

The Spanish crooner, who will be in Malaysia to hold his concert this April 1 at the Plenary Hall, Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, is looking forward to seeing Malaysia again and reveals to The Malay Mail just who will he be rooting for in the upcoming south Africa World Cup.

Why the name Starry night for your tour? Does it hold any special meaning to you?

Starry Night is the name of one of my English albums, but this time the tour is not related to that specific CD. It's focused on the most important songs of my career and I'm excited to tour the five continents again which include Malaysia.

What is your impression of Malaysia?

I've been to Malaysia several times and I simply fell in love with the people. I have wonderful memories, especially related to the warm and friendly people I met and to the audience, which I was surprised to see singing with me in Spanish, in spite of the linguistic differences.

Besides, Malaysia has an impressive culture and beautiful traditions. This time, I'll come to your country with my wife and our five children.

The little ones have never been in Kuala Lumpur and we want them to enjoy it.


Your last album — Romantic Classics was recorded in Tagalog and Bahasa Indonesia. Are there plans to record songs in Malay?

Why not? I would love to! Performing in the mother tongue of the audience creates a special connection to the people.

Your concert in Malaysia is held on April 1. We hope you won't be pulling pranks on us anytime soon

Yes, the show date is April 1, which I know it's a specific day for playing pranks in Malaysia, but the show won't be a joke, that's for sure.

Are you a funny person by nature? How about sharing a joke with us?

Regarding my sense of humour, yes, I do have it; so much that, sometimes, people even believe some of my jokes.

Romantic Classics was released in 2006 and you spent the next few years promoting it.

What have you been busy with besides promoting the album?

After Romantic Classics, I released Quelque Chose de France, in May 2007.

In 2008 (after 40 years in the business) I started a long world tour, dedicated to my fans around the world, who made possible these four decades of music.

Are there any plans to release a new album consisting of all new songs anytime soon?

Yes, I am planning to start recording a new one in the following months.

It's a little known fact that you used to be a goalkeeper for Real Madrid before you found your calling in singing. Are you a Real Madrid fan?

Oh, yes, I'll always be a Real Madrid fan.

With the South Africa World Cup coming up, tell us who you hope to see go home with the champion title this year?

I truly hope Spain will go home with the title. We are Europe's Champions and I'm sure we can make the dream of winning the 2010 World Cup come true. Spain has good players and I trust them.


No comments: