Monday, February 18, 2019


Julio Iglesias reflects on 50 years of music

Updated
Before Miguel, Ricky Martin, Luis Fonsi or even Selena, the Latin crossover into the mainstream had been paved by Julio Iglesias. Over the course of his career, he’s released 80 albums, garnered Grammy awards and has sold more than 300 million albums. Now back on the road in the United States, he reflects on all that history in his 50th anniversary tour, which heads to Midland on Thursday.
 
Iglesias is also a joker. During the interview he chatted rapidly with an onslaught of punchlines and laughs. That’s quite an ironic impression for a man who’s made a career of being a romantic, sexy crooner. He’s personable with humorous anecdotes and rapid-fire wit. Among topics he discussed was his recent Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy.


MRT: Congratulations on the award. You join Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Bob Dylan and others on this prestigious recognition. What does it mean to you?

Iglesias: I never expected it this year. It’s such a great award for me. I’ve had a lucky time with my life and singing with Willie Nelson and Diana Ross and the Beach Boys.

MRT: You’re celebrating 50 years, but you were singing well before you debuted in America.

Iglesias: Yes, yes. I had sung all over the world all my life, but I hadn’t sung in America until 1981.

MRT: The lifetime achievement award, this 50th anniversary tour reflects on what you’ve done. What do you work toward now?

Iglesias: I have to say “no” to the things that distract me. I have to say “no” because I can. (laughs) I’m 75 years old and I continue dreaming because “why not?”

MRT: What do you like about your career?

Iglesias: I love that I get to do 160 concerts all over the world. I used to play to 20,000 people and now it’s 2,000 but I love it all. But I do need my time and I need to breathe.

MRT: Your signature is the romance and emotion in your music. Is it a task to relay those feelings each night to your audiences?

Iglesias: When I’m singing. I need to have my passion stronger. I have to keep that moment of passion for the people. I was in China in November, and many times I was concerned to keep myself strong enough onstage for two hours to deliver that passion. At the same time, I need to breathe, I need to take time.

MRT: You almost single-handedly pushed Latin music into mainstream America. Now, music is filled with Latin artists across several genres.

Iglesias: Yes, but music changes a lot. It is like painting. For me, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, those melodies are very understandable to me. They keep my brain together. (laughs) I have listened to some of today’s but not too much. I go through it from time to time. People come to see artists differently.

MRT: Where do you call home?

Iglesias: I choose the moon. so I can see everything. But, I actually do not have a place because I’m everywhere right now.

MRT: Your sense of humor is surprising since for so long, you came off as this serious, romantic singer.

Iglesias: (laughs) I have to keep it, because life will be very boring. I love having it.

MRT: How do you describe this show?

Iglesias: I go through my songs that belong to all the generations. I’m not very modest. (laughs) We will go to the past and then back to the future. Maybe I will sing something in French, but I do sing in both Spanish and English. I’ve sung in China, but I will not sing Chinese. But I might sing for you in Chinese if you ask me for a song. (laughs)

Source:  https://www.mrt.com/lifestyles/article/Julio-Iglesias-reflects-on-50-years-of-music-13624999.php

No comments: