Saturday, February 15, 2014

Julio Iglesias' Valentine's Day advice

SAN ANTONIO – When superstar Julio Iglesias is on the telephone and it’s close to Valentine’s Day, one has to ask the international king of the romantic ballad for some insights into the ways of love.  He’s a good sport about it, too.

“No, it’s not silly,” said Iglesias in late January in that inimitable voice. “I understand that the readers, if you do not ask me that question, they will kill you.”

Iglesias is set to perform at Majestic Theatre on April 3. This year marks the 30th anniversary of his smash hit with Willie Nelson, “To All the Girls I’ve Loved Before.”

What makes for perfect Valentine romance?  “You know, Hector, if I would have the formula and I would write the book, I will give you 30 percent of the book for the rights, OK?  You will write, and I will tell you. And I promise you, we will have a No. 1 book all over the world.”
Then, after a perfectly timed pause for effect, Iglesias ‘fessed up: “I don’t have any (expletive) idea,” he joked.

But seriously, does Iglesias enjoy Valentine’s Day? “For me, I’ve been on a honeymoon all my life. No, no, no. I think it’s much better to surprise somebody not on the 14th of February, the 14th of January, for example. The 25 of September or whatever. Say it to somebody with the eyes, with the eyes, not with the words, that you love her,” he said.

“That’s important. To wait until the 14th of February (is a commercialized custom) . . . the reality is, I don’t think, really, the 14th of February means a lot. You don’t have to waste so many days for one day a year to tell somebody that you love her, OK?”

This writer’s personal memo to guys about heeding Iglesias’ advice: Don’t forget Valentine’s Day — accidentally or on purpose. Only Julio Iglesias can get away with that.

(Source:  http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-music-beat/2014/02/julio-iglesias-valentines-day-advice/)

No comments: